Will it be the Suunto Slayer? Not in terms of flat out capability, judging purely specs on their press release specs (GPS battery life etc), but the all-new Tom Tom GPS sports watch, launched yesterday in Australia, will certainly turn heads if even for its sleek, modern styling and easy-read display (and we do like the ‘race yourself’ function). We haven’t got hands on a unit to bash it around the trails yet, so we can’t comment on actual useability or performance. Instead, here’s the details as blasted out on the press release for your early edification. Hopefully we’ll get to play with one soon and give you some real world feedback.
TomTom [has launched] a new range of GPS watches to deliver at-a-glance performance information for runners (and cyclists and swimmers). The new, ultra-slim TomTom Runner and TomTom Multi-Sport GPS sport watches feature an extra-large display, full-screen graphical training tools and the industry’s first one-button control to make it easier for users to access the information needed to stay motivated and achieve their goals.
“We know that most GPS watches on the market are too bulky and complicated to use while training.” said Corinne Vigreux, managing director, TomTom Consumer. “Just as we developed easy-to-use navigation products that changed the way that people move from A to B, we have developed a range of ultra-slim GPS sport watches that are far more comfortable to wear and far easier to use. Runners and multi-sport athletes can now view their performance information at-a-glance, making it easier to achieve their fitness goals.”
Extra Large, High-Resolution Display
The new TomTom watches feature an extra-large, high-resolution and high-contrast display that makes it easy for runners and multi-sport enthusiasts to quickly see their distance, time and pace while they workout even in bright sunshine.
Graphical Training Partner
The new watches feature TomTom’s Graphical Training Partner. Easy-to-read full-screen graphics help users get the most out of their workouts. They can view their real-time performance at-a-glance with three graphical training modes:
- Race: Race against a personal best or most recent run. Quickly track performance with real-time graphics, to continue to improve run-after-run.
- Goal: Set a distance, time or calorie goal and see progress toward that goal with simple, full-screen graphics and alerts.
- Zone: Set a target for pace or heart-rate (with optional heart-rate monitor) and track progress in a simple full-screen graph throughout a workout.
The new TomTom range includes an intuitive One-Button Control that enables users to easily navigate up-down-left-right through menus to access key stats and watch features. Unlike the majority of existing GPS watches on the market that feature multiple small and hard-to-operate buttons, the one-button control is easy to operate while moving and can be easily controlled in all weather conditions and while wearing gloves.
In addition to their ability to deliver at-a-glance performance information, the TomTom Runner and TomTom Multi-Sport include advanced features that are designed to address the needs of runners and multi-sport enthusiasts alike:
- Ultra-Slim Design: At just 11.5mm, the slim design of the watch module, comfortably fits men and women, and all wrist sizes
- Indoor Tracker: Accurately track indoor runs using built-in sensors to count strides, so that users can monitor pace and distance even while running on a treadmill.
- QuickGPSFix: Get started faster by using the latest in GPS and GLONASS satellite technology to quickly find their precise location.
- Multi-Platform compatibility: Sync, analyse and share stats on popular running sites and community platforms, including the TomTom MySports website, MapMyFitness, RunKeeper, TrainingPeaks and MyFitnessPal
- Super-Tough Display: Scratch- and impact-resistant glass stays easy-to-read, workout after workout.
- Weather- and Waterproof: Waterproof up to 50 meters/5ATM
- Long-lasting battery: Up to 10-hour battery life (GPS Mode)
- Bluetooth Smart: Connect to sensors using the latest wireless technology
- Heart Rate monitor*: Use the Bluetooth® Smart Heart Rate Monitor to track training zone for weight control, performance or speed.
TomTom Multi-Sport includes all the features included in TomTom Runner, and also allows multi-sport athletes to track their distance, time, speed and other key metrics when they cycle or swim. The TomTom Multi-Sport is also enhanced with the following features and options:
- Dedicated Bike Mount: Easily see key stats at a glance with the specially-designed bike mount
- Cadence Sensor**: Track cadence, speed and distance, indoors and out.
- Built-in Altimeter***: Accurately track elevation, ascent, descent and grade with the built-in barometric altimeter
- Swimming Motion Sensor: Check detailed swim metrics such as laps, strokes, time and speed, and calculate a SWOLF score to show swim efficiency.
The TomTom Runner and TomTom Multi-Sport will be available in mid 2013. More information can be found at www.tomtom.com/sports.
*Optional accessory with TomTom Runner and TomTom Multi-Sport
**Optional with TomTom Multi-Sport
***Not available in all products